How do I become a representative?
The competition to decide the world’s best cosplay performers will be held at The World Cosplay Summit.
How do I participate in the World Cosplay Championship?
Introduction:What is the World Cosplay Championship?
The World Cosplay Summit’s “World Cosplay Championship” is an event that started at WCS in 2005 to determine the world’s best cosplayers.
In order for representatives to gain entry to Nagoya, Japan, they must first pass the qualifying rounds held in each country/region by organizers partnered with WCS.
To be selected as representatives and travel to Nagoya, Japan, cosplayers must first qualify in selection events held in each country/region by organizations partnered with the WCS.
The results of this competition are determined by: costume evaluations which judge the costumes, and stage evaluations, which judge the content of the performance. Each team is required to submit documents which explain the process of their costumesconstruction, and to create everything themselves. from the music and compositions to the actual costumes. Only teams that are able to win the preliminary rounds will be qualified to perform. In the main competition, teams will have 2 minutes and 30 seconds to perform on the stages, and the judges will score the performances according to the evaluation criteria to determine the final places and special awards.
The results of this competition are determined by the costume evaluations, which judge the costumes, and the stage evaluations, which judge the content of the performance. Each team is required to submit documents which explain the process of their costume construction. They must create everything themselves – from the music and compositions to the performance costumes. Only teams which win the preliminary rounds will be qualified to perform. In the main competition, teams will have 2 minutes and 30 seconds to perform on the stage, and the judges will score the performances according to the evaluation criteria which determine the final places and special awards.
World Cosplay Championship Alumni
Each year, WCS produces inspiring cosplayers from each country and region. The cosplayers who successfully become representatives are known as the “WCS Alumni” from their competition year onwards. They can now participate as special guests at WCS-related events and are introduced to cosplay media, making the WCS main competition a gateway to becoming a world-class cosplayer.
Examples of WCS Alumni opportunities include…
- Being a special guest at other cosplay events
- Appear as a judge for cosplay events
- Recieve coverage from the media and magazine
- Grow your list cosplay achievements
〜Aim for NO.1! The road to becoming the best cosplayers〜
-To be the best cosplayer you should participate in the World Cosplay Summit!-
Here are the rules to participate as a competitor.
Everyone interested should give it a shot! All you need is passion for your craft!
*Conditions of entry and rules are subject to change each year
*Rules may be subject to changes based on each country’s rules in regards to the coronavirus pandemic.
*For exact details, please refer to this year’s rule guide. Those who participate are expected to have agreed to all the regulations outlined for that competition year.
Conditions of Participation
①Each country or region may have one pair of representatives
②Participants must live in the country or region they qualify in*
* To participate in the preliminary rounds, participants must submit documents to the organizer in each country/region to prove they have residency in the country/region where the preliminary rounds are held. In addition, a cosplayer may only participate as a representative if the organizer in the country/region or its equivalent recognizes that the cosplayer is in the process of acquiring permanent residency status for that country/region and has obtained residency status. If residency is held in a region rather than a country, or if the country is part of a federation or union, the applicant must participate as a representative of the country/region to which they belong.
However, even if a participant changes their place of residence or nationality after participating as a representative of a certain country/region, they shall not be eligible to participate as a representative of another country/region for five years from the year of participation. Any questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the organizer of the country/region, and if the World Cosplay Summit executive office determines that a review is necessary, the results must be followed.
③Participants must be 18 or over *
* Participants who are under 18 must have a guardian’s permission. If you have your guardian’s permission and are able to come to Japan by yourself, you may participate. Age limits may differ based on the country or region.
④Participants must be able to stay in Nagoya City (general area), Aichi Prefecture during the WCS events.
⑤The two team members must participate as characters from the same Japanese manga, anime, game, or live-action series for their Championship Costumes. *
* Doujins and fan works are not allowed.
* For games, the characters must originate from Japan. (For example, even if the animation was made in Japan, it is not allowed if the characters are Disney or Star Wars based.)
* Light novels are allowed if there is a published anime or manga.
* Cross overs are allowed if the works are related. (For example, characters from Magical Circle Guru Guru and Magical Circle Guru Guru 2 can participate together)
⑥As a general rule, the costumes for the Championship competition must be handmade by the constants themselves *
* While they must be made by the contestants themselves, some help from family members or friends is allowed.
* Alterations of off-the-shelf clothing is allowed but must be reported as such.
STEP1 – Preparation for the preliminaries
①Form a team and make a performance!
②Apply for the qualifiers and enter the preliminary competition for your country/region!
③Submit all the required documents and materials by the preliminary deadline!
④Participate in the preliminaries.
⑤Win the preliminaries and get your team a ticket to the main event!
(Photo Translation: 2015 – Japan – Kyushu Preliminary Round)
* There are instances where rules for the preliminaries and main event may differ and there are unique rules for the preliminaries. Please follow the rules announced by the event organizers in each country/region.
* For questions about the preliminaries, please contact your country/region’s event organizer or responsible organization.
STEP2 – Main event
So, you are going to the World Championship in NAGOYA!
⑥Prepare for the main event’s competition
* The winners of the WCS preliminaries in each country/region will be able to compete in the World Cosplay Summit’s “World Cosplay Championship”. Winners of the main event will be awarded the title of World Champion for the year.
⑦Each team has 2 minutes and 30 seconds for their championship performance！
* Rules are subject to change each year. For more details, please refer to this year’s conditions of participation.
⑧The performance is up to you! Dancing, singing, action, comedy… express yourself however you want to! (But please remain respectful to the original work)
STEP3 – Announcement of results
The Grand Prix winners will each be given a trophy at the awards ceremony! Awards and certificates will be given as well!
Grand Prix 2nd and 3rd place winners will also receive trophies and special prizes!
2022’s awards and extra prizes can be found here!
First Place (Grand Champion): Trophy, certificate, commemorative memorabilia, extra prizes.
Round-trip tickets to travel to 2023’s World Cosplay Summit to be a guest judge for the Cosplay Championship
Second Place: Trophy, certificate, commemorative memorabilia
Third place: Trophy, certificate, commemorative memorabilia
Other special prices
* Prizes will be shipped by the end of 2022.
This is only an excerpt of the basic rules.
For the full ruleset and conditions of participation, please check below!
There’s an old saying “yesterday’s rival is today’s friend” …
During the World Cosplay Summit, cosplayers from many countries and regions will come to Japan and spend several days together.
There are many encounters and discoveries to be had at the Cosplay Summit! Even if you don’t speak the same language, our common language is “Cosplay Everywhere!”.
Let’s get excited talking about cosplay, anime, manga and games!
Cultural exchange with cosplayers from other countries and regions is a truly valuable experience! You may even make some new friends.
Through cosplay, we can share our cosplay knowledge and get excited together…
Fixing each other’s costumes, supporting each other, sharing meals…
Giving each other souvenirs from your own country…
Let’s make friends with cosplayers from all over the world!!
The experiences you cultivate here will be some of the best of your life!